Saturday, May 19, 2012
Whatever You Call Them
On my dad’s side of the family, we call them O’Henry Bars. On my mom’s side of the family, we call them Chocolate Scotcharoos. My husband just calls them Scotcharoos. They should be called a candy bar.
Whatever it is that you call them, they are GOOD!
Nothing like starting out with a LOT of sugar. Granulated sugar and liquid sugar (kayro syrup)
The topping is the best part.
There is a layer of peanut butter coated rice krispies under there…..only because its unacceptable to eat the frosting by itself.
V knows the good stuff. She loves to lick the spoon.
I have had way to many of these and I now need to enforce my exercise goals.
O’Henry Bars-Chocolate Scotcharoos-Scotcharoos
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup kayro syrup
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1. In a small sauce pan, bring sugar and kayro syrup to a boil over medium high heat. Stir constantly.
2. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter. Wisk in until smooth.
3. In a large mixing bowl, pour the sugar sauce over 6 cups of Rice Krispies and gently stir until well combined
4. Press in to greased 9X13 dish
5. In microwave, heat the chips 30 seconds at a time and stirring well in between. Heat just until melted, taking care to not burn them.
6. Pour chocolate mixture over cereal in dish. Spread evenly and let cool. Slice in to bars and serve with a smile. Or save them all for yourself for that 3 pm sugar craving.